What Is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the very effective digital marketing strategy of sending emails to prospects and customers
Email marketing is the first and oldest online marketing strategy. Long before Mark Zuckerberg was even a twinkle in his parents’ eyes, businesses realized that email was a great way to turn contacts into customers.
And, in the more than four decades since the first email marketing campaign, a lot has changed in the marketing world.
Old marketing staples like billboards, radio spots or direct mail seem to be going the way of the dodo – or at least, that’s what many newer businesses seem to believe. Out with the old, and in with the new…and in the world of digital marketing, there’s always something new to try.
So where does this leave email marketing? Since less than 50 percent of businesses are investing in email automation, it seems like most businesses don’t see it as a meaningful way to market their business.
But are they right? Has email marketing had it’s run?
There are a lot of reasons why email marketing has lost a lot of its appeal, but to determine whether or not email marketing is still viable, let’s take a look at what the data says.
Case email marketing
With 35+ years of research and data under their belts, most email marketers are quick to tell you that email is the best, most profitable way to market your business online.
And, they’ve got some pretty good stats to back them up.
I mean, Facebook might have over 1.5 billion daily users, but email has over 3.8 billion daily active users. Take a minute to think about that. Most people who use email probably fall between the ages of 15 and 64, and since there are only about 5 billion people on the planet in that age range, that means email has over 75 percent market penetration.
So yeah, your audience might be on Facebook. They might be using Google. Maybe they’re on Baidu. Perhaps you can reach them on Instagram or SnapChat or WhatsApp or Pinterest or TikTok. But where can you guarantee that your audience will be? In their inbox.
Every. Single. Day.
To make things even better, people don’t just check their email on a daily basis. You probably check your email over a dozen times a day…and in all sorts of weird places.
- 54 percent check while in bed
- 69 percent check while watching television
- 32 percent check while eating dinner
- 14 percent check while they’re driving
- 6 percent check at formal events like graduations or weddings
- 18 percent check during the middle of conversations
- 43 percent check on the toilet
- 34 percent check while they’re walking
- 32 percent check on their work commute
The best part, though, is that people not only check their email everywhere, they also like getting email marketing.
So, unlike most online marketing channels, people actually want to be marketed to via email. But if that’s the case, why do most marketers seem to believe that email marketing is dead?
Types of Email Marketing Software
There are generally three types:
1. On-premise systems – They tend to be expensive because of licensing, complex setup, and maintenance needs.
2. SaaS systems – They are installed on the provider’s server. This makes them easy-to-install and update.
3. Cloud-hosted systems – These are the best option if you are looking for user-friendly platforms, flexible, and affordable services.
Benefits of Email Marketing
The advantages that come with a well planned and targeted campaign are numerous.
• Cost effectiveness: Most of the online platforms offer affordable monthly rates package and even free plans for a limited number of subscribers.
• Ease of use: The best such services include pre designed templates and drag and drop with good interfaces.
• More targeted marketing: The best emailing services offer the possibility to segment your list of subscribers so that you can better target your audinece with your campaigns
• Better understanding customer behaviour: The campaign tracking options allow you to better understand what makes your customers want or click.
• Boosting brand awareness and brand loyalty: Strengthening your brand means boosting its visibility and increasing its worth. This is one of the goals you can achieve by sending out best design crafted.